September 23, 2023
EVENT COURSE – * NEW FOR 2023*
The event takes place in beautiful Prospect Park, located in Brooklyn, NY. It receives thousands of visitors each year from all over the world and is home to many New York City athletes including skaters. It is a 3.35 mile lap (5.4 KM) around the park.
Your will be skating a total of 12 laps to complete the Inline Team Challenge. The Start Line is also the Finish Line. Your timing chip will be attached to a relay baton and will record you passing every time you cross the line. Please make sure you count your laps!
The Prospect Park course is hilly but is not considered intimidating for an average skater.
Click HERE to Download the event course map for a visual, and print it to have with you for race day so you know where to go.
NYC INLINE TEAM CHALLENG – * NEW FOR 2023*
What is it?
This is an inline skate relay race, where teams of 2 or more quad skaters will compete for top honors by skating a total of 12 laps around the park (63K), one skater at a time, in the least amount of total skate time. This is equivalent to a marathon and a half.
- Objective: The aim of the race is to skate 12 laps around the park (63K) in the least amount of time. Since the race is a team relay, only one team member can skate at a time. The rest of the team should wait for their turn.
- Start time: The race starts at 7:00 AM sharp. Only one team member per team sill start.
- Only one team member can skate at a time holding the timing chip baton.
- Skaters and their teams choose how many laps each skater completes. Some teams will rotate the skaters every lap, some teams will skate a few laps at a time. The order and number of times each skater on your team skates is entirely up to your team, just make sure the skater who is actively doing the lap has the baton with the timing chip.
- The teams must pass the baton after the finish line, in the “feed zone”. Only the skater getting ready to skate the next leg of the relay can be on the race course. The rest of the team should be out of the way. Teams will be penalized if they are found blocking the finish line.
- Finish: Once your team completes 12 laps.
How to register my team:
- The first team member should create the team name during their online registration.
- The rest of the team members would then be able to join the team that has already been created.
- A payment has to be made by each skater for their own registration.
GETTING THERE / PARKING
Click on the Event Course Map to see this on a map and print it to have with you for race day so you know where to go.
The address is 108 East Drive, Brooklyn, NY 11225. We are happy that NYC Parks Department has allowed us at our original location, where we have a lot of room to gather before and after the race, as well as have a safe Start/Finish line for all participants.
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/GbQUDQZpd4F2
ENTER THE PARK
Enter the park through Lincoln Road and walk toward East Drive until you see race tents.
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/xxTQXXAY4XS2
You can park along Ocean Avenue if you can find a spot. However, you will find more space for parking along Flatbush Avenue, north of Lincoln Road.
– READ ALL POSTED SIGNS AND MAKE SURE YOU PARK LEGALLY. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR TOWED VEHICLES THAT DO NOT PARK LEGALLY.
– PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE ANY VALUABLES VISIBLE OR IN THE CAR AT ALL.
PACKET PICKUP AND REGISTRATION
Booth will open at 5:00 AM to pick up your packet. Same-day registration will also be available.
Registration closes at 6:45 AM and event start will go as planned at 7:00 AM sharp. Please arrive early and plan accordingly. We recommend arriving by 6:00 AM to give you time to park, pick up your bib or register, and lace up your skates.
Secure your bib (race number), which should be pinned to your hips. Don’t forget the baton as this is method to record your race timing!
No changes to race category will be allowed on race day.
RACE COURSE SAFETY
Please obey all safety guidelines outlined below, as well as all park rules and regulations. Failure to comply will result in immediate race disqualification. No exceptions whatsoever. Course marshals will be monitoring the race course and ensuring everyone follows the rules.
- Helmets and wrist guards must be worn by all skaters at all times.
- Skate on the race course only. Refrain from entering the walkers/joggers lane at any time. We are fortunate to enjoy NYC Parks allowing us to use the park. DO NOT enter the joggers’ lane at any time so we can keep enjoying our privileges.
- Slower skaters and quad skaters, stay to the right of the course at all times to allow faster pace lines to pass on the left.
- No headphones allowed. Headphones prevent awareness and hearing safety calls.
- Do not block the finish line. The next skater of the relay should be the only person waiting past the finish line, in the “feed zone”. The rest of the team should be out of the way.
- There is a 4-hour time limit to our event. When the 4-hour time limit comes, only the skater who is in the middle of a lap can finish the last lap. This requirement is in order for the event to secure a permit with the parks department.
**PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT A CLOSED COURSE. PLEASE BE AWARE AND MINDFUL OF ALL PARK GOERS*
RACE START TIME
The race will start at 7:00 AM sharp. Please arrive early and plan accordingly.
All skaters will gather at the Start Line at 7:00 AM. Please listen to the announcer for the call to start, the USA National Anthem, and any last minute updates. We will line up as follows, beginning in the front of the start with the New York 100K Pro skaters:
– New York 100K
– NYC Skate Marathon Open
– NYC Skate 4 Hour Challenge
– NYC Skate Half Marathon
– NYC Skate Marathon Recreational
– NYC Skate Quad Marathon
– NYC Derby Challenge
– NYC Skate Quad Half Marathon
– NYC Skate 5K Challenge
SCORING AND AWARDS
Your timing chip is inside the baton you will receive in your packet. Every time you pass the Start/Finish Line, the transponder will record your lap time, and ultimately the time of the entire race. Also please make sure your bib is securely attached with pins around your hips. This is a great feature to ensure timing accuracy, speed up the awards ceremony, and you will be able to see your results online LIVE during the event with our timing partner Elite Feats!
Celebrate your Finish! Stay with us after the race for the awards ceremony to see yourself or your friends and fellow skaters on the podium.
The top 3 team placements will be determined for awards.
Results will be available LIVE during the event and available online after the race. Photos are usually available by the end of the day of the race via our timing partner Elite Feats. Please also visit our Facebook page for post-race results, photos, etc.
EVENT HASHTAG AND SOCIAL MEDIA
Share the fun with us by using #NYCSkateMarathon #GoSkate & #SkateLife hashtags in all your social media posts.
Instagram: Find us @nycskate
Facebook: Find us @inlineskatemarathon
Twitter: Find us @skatemarathon
Tell us your story! What or who is motivating you to skate in this event? Why is it special to you? Share your unique story with us by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be featured in our future media or with our sponsors.
Any questions about the race? Please do not hesitate to reach the race organizer, Francisco Ramirez at email@example.com or at 201-970-8321.